Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sergii Doroschuk- ''I’m the youngest one ''

Sergii Doroschuk is a software developer with more than 3 years of experience. Sergey started his career in software engineering when he was a student – working for SoftServe, Ukraine. He holds a Master’s Degree in Information Security and Computer Science from Lviv Polytechnic National University.

Sergii, how did you get to know about job opportunities with Forte CG?

One of my friends told me that he was looking for a job in the USA. He found Forte CG and recommended it to me. I also knew a couple of guys who were employees of Forte, they are my ex-coworkers in SoftServe. By the way, my friend who told me about job opportunities with Forte is still in the process of getting visa and I’m here :).

Have you thought of moving to the USA before?

Yep. In 2007 I was in Maryland, participated in Work & Travel. During these 6 months I got a lot of friends and I’m that type of person who likes to try something new and challenge myself in new environment.

How long did it take you to become an employee of Forte CG – from sending your resume till your arrival in the USA?

Exactly one year.

What was the hardest part during this year – gathering all necessary documents, interview in the embassy or?

Interview was pretty fine because when the embassy worker started to ask questions, he found out that I’ve been to the US before, in 2007. Then he started wondering where I’ve been. I told him and at the same time saw a smile on his face. He was exactly from the area where I’ve stayed during my first visit to the US. We continued talking about it and eventually found some common friends.

And speaking about the hardest part, probably it was gathering all documents.

Describe me the company you work for – how do you like the environment, your coworkers, job responsibilities?

The company I work for is mostly in mailing business. The whole process starts from design of mailings, bills and sending them out. Currently I’m involved into a new project that is related to medical billing system. Most of the team I’m working with consists of Russian speaking guys and I was really surprised at that fact. I expected my team to be English speaking but it turned out vice versa. Therefore, I have the same culture and environment as I had in Ukraine, surprisingly :).

What is the biggest difference between working in the USA and your home country?

The age gap between me and my coworkers (the difference is counted in decades), I’m the youngest one :)

What about living ?

If working is almost the same, living is much easier. Mostly in terms of collaboration with governmental structures, I mean such things as communicating by e-mail with officials, filling out documents and forms, buying cars, etc.

Is there anything you don’t like?

Sometimes the number of laws in the US is annoying, especially taking into consideration the ones like “Don’t feed the ducks”, “Don’t swim without a lifeguard”.

And speed limit - the understanding that I cannot give a cop 10 $ -20$ and go my way. Your record always impacts your insurance cost – it’s such a pain.

What about your professional development in the company you are working now?

As I’m staying here less then 3 month, I can’t say I learned a lot. But I’m trying to do my best and pushing new technologies. Recently I developed a part of application we are working on in Silverlight and showed it to my team lead – it was successful :)

What tips can you give to future candidates?

"Don't panic", be prepared for temporarily inconveniences and always consider at least 3 options prior to making an important choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment