Monday, April 11, 2011

Dmitry Malankov – “I’m lucky - we don’t have bosses here, we’re all friends”

Dmitry Malankov is a software developer from Minsk, Belarus. It has been almost 1 month since he moved to Chicago. Prior to this Dmitry had been working for more than 5 years as a software developer in a couple of well-known IT outsourcing companies in Belarus. In this interview Dmitry shares his story and advice for making a successful career change.

Dmitry, tell me a couple of words about your background: where did you study and work before moving to the USA, what experience do you have in IT?

I studied in the National Technical University in Minsk, also known as Polytechnic Academy. My background is mostly outsourcing development in 3 different companies in Minsk. I tried different roles: developer, leader and even manager and it gave me miscellaneous experience. To make a long story short I’d say that technologies are easier to deal with, but anyway people are more interesting.

How did you get acquainted with Forte?

I’ve been to Chicago a couple of times before; this city has impressed me a lot and I decided to try to work here. I made a pretty quick market investigation and got the site of the company.

How long did it take you to join Forte’s team - from the first interview till your landing on the other side of the globe?

The government was very slow this year; they had been holding my documents for more than 5 months. So it took about 10 months including additional paperwork, interviews, visa preparations, trip preparation and other minor things.

What was the hardest part in this process – interviews, documents, embassy, etc.?

I had a technical interview before my arrival, you know, it always takes a lot of energy. Other things were not so hard; some of them were even pleasant.

Tell me about the company you work for: how do you like you coworkers, boss :), projects, responsibilities? Are they the way you expected them to be?

Exactly, they’re good guys, most of them are Russian native speakers. We’re working on a project for a huge American medical care company. My responsibilities are the same – regular software development. And you know what? I’m lucky - we don’t have bosses here, we’re all friends.

In terms of professional and personal development, what new skills did you acquire working for an American company?

Some new tools and practices, different communication style.

Are there a lot of differences between working and living in Belarus and USA? Please name a couple.

In the US you have to pay for everything, rules are strict and punishment is inevitable. Different thinking and humor. Different food. A lot of people from everywhere. It’s interesting place to live, discover and investigate if you like it.

What things you especially like about USA?

Nature, nice little houses and calm suburbs.

And what about those you don't like?

Traffic and expensive parking.

What plans do you have for future?

I’m going to develop a new safe supersonic just to be able to fly fast from Chicago to Minsk on weekends J.

Your tips for success for future candidates?

It’s a very common question, so I answer it in common too. Be open-minded and flexible. Nothing new and it may seem boring but it works.

by Lusya Galkina

No comments:

Post a Comment